Applications for the MEST Class 2022 Training Program are now open.
The MEST Training Program
MEST offers a 12-month graduate-level training to aspiring entrepreneurs across the African continent.
The entrepreneurial training program in business, communications and software development includes extensive hands-on project work, culminating in a final pitch and the chance to receive seed investment and grow businesses.
The successful world-class training program is run with the help of an internationally recognized faculty. Our teaching fellows hail from some of the best universities around the world like Oxford, Stanford, Harvard, etc. We also offer our entrepreneurs-in-training (EITs) the opportunity to be mentored by real-life Entrepreneurs, CEOs and other executives from all over the world. Guest lectures have been executives of Uber, Facebook, Safaricom, Samsung, Interswitch, and many more.
Since inception in 2008, MEST has invested over $22m in training over 350 individual entrepreneurs and funded 60+ software companies across Africa. MEST entrepreneurs have developed solutions addressing local, regional and global markets, received follow-on funding from global investors, and gotten into top accelerator programs such as Y-combinator, 500 startups and TechStars.
As COVID-19 has changed the way organizations operate around the world, causing travel restrictions and moving many workplaces to adopt digital solutions, the Training Program for 2022 will focus on entrepreneurs who live in Ghana and Nigeria.
- Applications open: 1st March, 2021
- Applications close: 29th April, 2021
- Program starts: 1st September 2021
- Program ends: 31st August 2022
- Building Sustainable Teams
- Market Research
- Product Development and Innovation
- Revenue and Business Modeling
- Branding and Communications
- Marketing and Growth Hacking
- Financial Management and Investments
- Legal and Regulatory Compliance
- Metrics and Measurements
- Sales and Traction (achieving product/market fit)
- Preparing for investments
- A degree from a top university or Technical College or equivalent experience with at least two (2) years corporate and startup experience (preferred)
- Deep skills in either communications, business or software development (from the onset or acquired during the Pre-Learning stage)
- Young persons crazy about tech and entrepreneurship, and how to use technology to achieve business results
- Should be ready to commit to a full residential program for a whole year
- Disciplined, motivated self-starter who can work and deliver on assignments and projects - demonstrate this by completing the required Pre-Learning courses and MEST’s rigorous recruitment process
- An entrepreneurial spirit and strong desire to start a company
- Ability to communicate candidly and persuasively
- Ability to work well in teams, proven academic or professional excellence
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Confident and independent thinking
- Excellent people skills
Step 1. Complete all these pre-learning courses:
- Intro to Agile
- Design Thinking for Beginners
- Enterprise Design Thinking Practitioner
- Web development
- HTML & CSS
- Fundamentals of Digital Marketing
- Business Modeling Canvas
Note: On completion of your first course on the IBM Digital Nation Africa portal, you will be guided to create an account on youracclaim.com. Once this is done, all subsequent badges earned from courses 1 - 7 will be automatically posted on to Acclaim. You can grab your profile link by clicking on the profile icon and selecting 'view my profile'.
Step 2. Take an Aptitude Test
You are required to take the Aptitude Test as your score will be requested when filling your application form and will determine your move to the next stage. Please follow this link to take the test.
Step 3. Complete the MEST Training Program Application Form
Please follow this link to complete the application form.
Applications close on April, 29th 2021. All assessments and the application form must be completed and submitted by this date. Selected candidates will be contacted for individual and group interviews.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does this program cost?
- The MEST Training Program is fully-sponsored and requires no financial payments to MEST. This is a full-time program that requires you to be available to attend all classes and sessions.
Where will the training take place?
- The training program will have a hybrid of both physical and virtual sessions.
Who qualifies for this program?
- The program is targeted at aspiring software entrepreneurs between the ages of 18-35, who want to build tech startups that solve global issues in Africa.
Do I need to have any previous software development experience to be considered for the program?
- No, you don’t need prior experience in software development to qualify for the program. You should have a genuine interest in business and technology and be ready to fully commit to the program. All necessary skills you need prior to the start of the program will be communicated to you in due course.
Is this open to only Ghanaians and Nigerians?
- No, this program is open to anyone of any nationality or citizenship who meets all the application requirements and lives in Ghana or Nigeria. We are currently not accepting applications from individuals residing outside Ghana or Nigeria because of the global pandemic, but we hope to change this in the future.
If I don’t complete the prerequisite courses because of the lack of a laptop/computer or internet challenges, will I lose the chance of being selected into the program?
- All prescribed courses are mandatory for your candidacy for the program.
I have applied but haven’t heard back on my application.
- Application to the program has a deadline. The MEST Recruitment team will get in touch with you once the application window closes and selection of final candidates is completed. Please hold on until the application period is over to hear back from us. If you do not hear back before the program start date, you should consider your application unsuccessful.
I do not have any software development skills at all, how can I complete the courses before I start my application?
- The courses you are to complete as part of the application process are self-taught and very easy to complete. You can go through them yourself, with adequate focus and determination.
I have the basic tech skills being asked for in the application process. Can I skip them and continue the application?
- If you are comfortable with your tech skills and capabilities being requested in the application, kindly go ahead and complete the assessments at the end of each course to earn your certificate. Certificates earned are part of the criteria used in making the final selection to join the program and so it is necessary to earn all the required badges no matter your skill level in the course.
I live outside Accra/Lagos, can I still be part of the program?
- Yes, this program is open to all people living anywhere in Ghana or Nigeria as long as you have access to fast internet services and can commit to classes.
For more questions and enquiries, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org