APPLICATIONS EXTENDED - MEST CLASS OF 2024
MEST Africa is happy to announce that applications for the MEST Training Program, Class of 2024 have been extended!
All applicants of the ongoing recruitment for the 12-month Training Program are informed that their applications will now be reviewed on a rolling basis. This means that the earlier applicants complete their application, the earlier they will hear back from the recruitment team regarding their status in the application process.
The new dates by which applicants should complete the application process are as follows:
- Submit by 26 February 2023 hear from MEST by 17 March 2023
- Submit by 20 March 2023 hear from MEST by 3 April 2023
- Submit by 11 April 2023 hear from MEST by 24 April 2023
The new system of reviewing applications and new dates will allow early applicants to get faster updates on their application status and will also give other applicants more time to complete their applications beyond the 26th of February 2023.
Get access to world-class education in Software development, Business and Communication skills from MEST Africa’s 12-month Training Program. Apply now to be a part of the next class of innovative technology entrepreneurs!
MEST has confirmed to start the new cohort for its core Training Program in August 2023.
Apply ahead of the deadlines to get faster updates and feedback on your application status!
About the MEST Training Program
MEST offers a 12-month graduate-level training to aspiring entrepreneurs across the African continent.
The entrepreneurial training program in business, communications and software development includes extensive hands-on project work, culminating in a final pitch and the chance to receive seed investment and grow businesses.
The successful world-class training program is run with the help of an internationally recognized faculty. Our teaching fellows hail from some of the best universities around the world. We also offer our entrepreneurs-in-training (EITs) the opportunity to be mentored by real-life Entrepreneurs, CEOs and other executives from all over the world. Guest lecturers have been executives of Uber, Facebook, Safaricom, Samsung, Interswitch, and many more.
Since its inception in 2008, MEST has invested over $25m in training 1000+ individual entrepreneurs and funded 80+ software companies across Africa. MEST entrepreneurs have developed solutions addressing local, regional and global markets, received follow-on funding from global investors, and gotten into top accelerator programs such as Y Combinator, 500 Startups and TechStars.
- Core Programming Languages
- Web and Mobile Development
- Forming Culture Driven Teams
- Business and Revenue Modeling
- Branding and Communications
- Market Research
- Product Development and Innovation
- Marketing and Growth Hacking
- Financial Management and Investments
- Legal and Regulatory Compliance
- Metrics and Measurements
- Sales and Traction
- Preparing for investments
- A degree from a top university or Technical College or equivalent experience with at least two (2) years corporate and startup experience (preferred)
- Deep skills in either communications, business or software development (from the onset or acquired during the Pre-Learning stage)
- Young persons passionate about tech and entrepreneurship, and how to use technology to achieve business results
- Should be ready to commit to a full residential program for a whole year
- Disciplined, motivated self-starter who can work and deliver on assignments and projects - demonstrate this by completing the required Pre-Learning courses and MEST’s rigorous recruitment process
- An entrepreneurial spirit and strong desire to start a company
- Ability to communicate candidly and persuasively
- Ability to work well in teams, proven academic or professional excellence
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Confident and independent thinking
- Excellent people skills
How to apply
Complete these pre-learning courses:
Note: On completion of your first course on the IBM Digital Nation Africa portal, you will be guided to create an account on youracclaim.com. Once this is done, your badge will be automatically posted on to Acclaim. You can grab your profile link by clicking on the profile icon and selecting 'view profile'.
Kindly note that you are required to finish these courses, submit your profile link and upload your certificate by the application deadline.
Take an Aptitude Test
You are required to take the Aptitude Test as your score will be requested when filling your application form and will determine your move to the next stage. Please follow this link to take the test.
Complete the MEST Training Program Application Form
Please follow this link to sign up to complete the application form.
Frequently Asked Questions
I am unable to access the Application form. Why do I keep getting redirected to the Guidelines?
- For each action, you will be led to the Guidelines first. Kindly scroll to the bottom of the page to see the Application form. After clicking Apply now, you will be led to sign up / sign in. After this, the Guidelines will be reloaded- scroll up to enter your address details and click Save Address and Continue. From here, you should see the Guidelines again. Now scroll up for the last time and you will see the Application form at the bottom of the page.
How much does this program cost?
- The MEST Training Program is fully-sponsored and requires no financial payments to MEST. This is a full-time program that requires you to be available to attend all classes and sessions.
Where will the training take place?
- The training program will take place at the MEST Main Campus in Accra, Ghana.
Who qualifies for this program?
- The program is targeted at aspiring software entrepreneurs between the ages of 18-35, who want to build tech startups that solve global issues in Africa.
Do I need to have any previous software development experience to be considered for the program?
- No, you don’t need prior experience in software development to qualify for the program. You should have a genuine interest in business and technology and be ready to fully commit to the program. All necessary skills you need prior to the start of the program will be communicated to you in due course.
Is this open to only Ghanaians and Nigerians?
- No, this program is open to anyone of African nationality or citizenship who meets all the application requirements and is able to attend in-person interviews in Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal, Kenya or South Africa.
If I don’t complete the prerequisite courses because of the lack of a laptop/computer or internet challenges, will I lose the chance of being selected into the program?
- All prescribed courses are mandatory for your candidacy for the program. As stated earlier, kindly note that you do not need to finish these before you fill in the MEST Application form. However you are encouraged to complete these courses and submit your profile link and upload your certificates.
I have applied but haven’t heard back on my application.
- Application to the program has a deadline. The MEST Recruitment team will get in touch with you once the application window closes and selection of final candidates is completed. Please hold on until the application period is over to hear back from us. If you do not hear back before the program start date, you should consider your application unsuccessful.
I do not have any software development skills at all, how can I complete the courses before I start my application?
- The courses you are to complete as part of the application process are self-taught and very easy to complete. You can go through them yourself, with adequate focus and determination.
I have the basic tech skills being asked for in the application process. Can I skip them and continue the application?
- If you are comfortable with your tech skills and capabilities being requested in the application, kindly go ahead and complete the assessments at the end of each course to earn your certificate. Certificates earned are part of the criteria used in making the final selection to join the program and so it is necessary to earn all the required badges and certificates no matter your skill level in the course.
How do I access my Acclaim profile link for the IBM Design Thinking course?
- On completion of your first course on the IBM Digital Nation Africa portal, you will be guided to create an account on youracclaim.com. Once this is done, your badge will be automatically posted on to Acclaim. You can grab your profile link by clicking on the profile icon and selecting 'view profile'.
How do I upload my achievement status for Understand Basics of Code?
- Once you have completed the second course (Understand the Basics of Code), upload a screenshot of your achievement status (displaying Congratulations! or Course Progress 100%) also to the application form.
Applications for this track will close: 20th March 2023. If you have any questions, please send an email to: email@example.com